Friday, September 24, 2010

The Bible Says That?... Proverbs 22


One of the chapters I have been meditating on recently is Proverbs 22, the older i get the more I realize that the Bible says a great many thing I don't like and disagree with however just because it says that doesn't mean I don't have to follow it. I don't particularly like paying taxes or obeying traffic laws, but I do it. You don't have to love everything in the Bible to love God, but you really should try to follow it. OUCH!

Verse 6- Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.(notice it doesn't say when he is YOUNG he won't depart form it, but it says OLD how many people do you know who were raised in Christian homes but care nothing for God until they are old?)

Verse7 - The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

Have you ever been a slave to an object or purchase? I have, I once had a car that I hated, I was a slave to it. When we were young and stupid (or maybe just stupid) we bought a beautiful car as soon as the warranty was over the transmission died, a 4k transmission...it sat in our driveway for months and we were still paying the payment and insurance on it, I hated that car because I had becomes it's slave.

Verse 16- He that oppresseth the poor to increase his riches, and he that giveth to the rich, shall surely come to want.
Is this talking about slum lords? maybe, but think of all the "services" that target the poor, the lottery , cash advances, title loans at 25% interest those "pay by the week" furniture and electronics stores?

No comments:

Post a Comment